Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Beccy: October's read, November's pick

I loved Stradiveri's Genius. I suppose some might find his conclusion rather anticlimactic—that even with modern science and technology, we have yet to understand or duplicate Stradiveri’s mastery at producing such perfection in string instruments. The book begins in 17th century Cremona, Italy, which was Stradivari’s home and where violins became a dominant musical instrument (pardon the pun). I had never heard of Cremona before, but have added it to my mental list of places I want to visit in Italy!

I enjoyed learning about how violins are constructed and exploring all the abounding theories about why Stradivarius violins (and also others made by lesser-known luthiers of his century) are so superior: Is it his secret varnish recipe? Is it the European mini-ice age that affected the wood of that area and time? Is it the layer of volcanic sand discovered between the layers of varnish (discovered by modern high-power microscopes)?

I enjoyed making connections between history, musical performers, people and places I had heard of (such as the Rudolph Wurlitzer Company, who made grandma’s piano) and many I hadn’t heard of. I hope I someday have the now very rare opportunity of hearing a Strad played live. Yo-Yo Ma actually still owns The Davidov Strad cello, but does not play it exclusively. At least I could find some recordings that were made on Strads.

I loved the idea that
“A great violin is alive; its very shape embodies its maker’s intentions, and its wood stores the history, or the soul, of its successive owners. I never play without feeling that I have released or, alas, violated spirits.” – Yehudi Menuhin

As for naming my own violin, I’m still thinking. I have considered The Liahona, since it is to me an instrument of curious workmanship and “works” only by faith on my part. I do often have the feeling that I am trying to coax good sounds out of it. It is really a marvelous instrument—I am reminded of that whenever my teacher plays on it!

I asked Katie today what she has named her violin, and she said, “Bocci.” This really made me laugh, because it sounds Italian and I have no idea where she would have heard that (isn’t it a game?)! I told her she should name it Valentine, because we often need to remind her that it is not pronounced “biolin” but Violin, with a v- as in VALentine!

My November pick is Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke. It’s juvi fiction, but Curt really wants me to read it. I rather liked Inkspell and Inkheart and I’m in the mood for something light after this month’s nonfiction. Cornelia Funke is German and her books are translated from German (though you probably all know that).

Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments: