Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Great minds...

...think alike...or it must be the genetics! I, too, have chosen Musicophilia as my October read. I was so excited to see that Sacks had a new book coming out. We will just have to read quickly in late October! I ordered my copy through Amazon.

After weeding my books once in Lancaster, then packing them up, then unloading them and still not finding enough room on my existing bookshelves, reality hit me hard. I have way too many unread books and too few hours left in my life to read them. What a depressing thought that was...and then to turn another year older! Sadness.

Ivan and I now have a deal. When I have read ten books and discarded them (unless I really want to keep one) I can then purchase a new book. I asked Ivan and Bill to help me out so that I can keep things under control. They let me cheat with the Sacks book in that I was halfway through my tenth book and the new book doesn't actually arrive until mid-October! Maybe by then I will have read another ten?

Mim, I enjoyed your report on The Good Earth. I had no idea that Buck had a retarded child or that she had adopted other children. That adds quite a bit to the story and her characterization. It really is true that we write what we know. I think every author, whether they intend to or not, reveals themselves in their work. Did you find it different reading it as a mature married woman versus reading it in high school? Did you ever read The Inn of the Sixth Happiness...also an Asian setting? I guess I can ask you these things next week, huh!

FYI: Grandpa is reading outloud to Grandma every day...David McCullough's Truman. They are loving it and are almost three-quarters through. Even now, they continue to set a great example of learning and loving!

Happy reading!

0 Comments: