Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Bookish Thots

In re security...I think its perfectly fine to block a personal blog. I read a set amount of blogs each morning and sometimes I wonder about the personal details they give out. On the other hand, I read some that just give opinions without revealing much. I don't know that our book blog reveals anything we wouldn't want any stranger to know. I do like the fact that only certain individuals can make comments or post things. That, in itself, is a security. Abby, you are great to keep us technologically savvy. Let's just be careful.

Liz...I didn't want to say anything re A Thousand Acres when you picked it as your book. I didn't want to prejudice you in any way. I'm glad, though, that you ultimately chose not to read it. I kept thinking of your little ones and wanted to tell you to skip it...but figured you had the smarts to make that decision on your own!

I read it years ago in conjunction with King Lear, which it is supposed to be a modern retelling of. [How's that for a bad sentence?] I wouldn't recommend it for any other reason. It's quite a dark and depressing story. Not uplifting at all. An Oprah book :) Something I have had to learn over the years is that even some books that are very well written are not worth our time.

What I find really intriguing is that The Good Earth, which so many of you have chosen to read, addresses some very adult issues. But I found that book uplifting and unforgettable. It just shows ta goya that an author can take on dysfunctional topics without making the reading oppressive or distasteful.

Happy reading!

0 Comments: