Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Blogs vs Groups

Okay, so I just finished setting up a Yahoo Group for our book club, but I really prefer the way blogs are set up! If noone's opposed, let's try it this way. I've added your names as blog-authors so that we can all add posts. And if you want to post your message straight from your email, it can be sent to abigailbhanson.reading@blogger.com

With blogs, we can each add posts and then comment on each post or we could just add a post in response....I think I prefer adding a post in response to another post just because it deletes the process of opening up another window (which is what you have to do to view comments...). If we just respond back and forth via posts we can view everything on one page. What do you guys think?

3 Comments:

raehink said...

I think I would like the blog also. Can we keep this somewhat private so that not everyone in the world can read it?

I suggest we choose 6-12 books (maybe 2 each?) to read and then schedule each to be read once a month. Then we can make comments on them at the end of the month.

I would also like this blog to be a place where we can share ANYTHING we have read...not just what we are reading.

raehink said...

So some of my most brilliant ideas come to me in the shower. I think this one is a winner. What if we choose a different genre each month and each of us choose our own book to read within that genre.

At the end of each month, or when we finish the book, we note our thoughts re said book.

The advantage is that we aren't all reading the same book. This could be a disadvantage too, I suppose. But it would give us more books to take a look at. It would also widen our horizons as we would have to read within genres that we might not usually touch.

I thought of the following:

FICTION: contemporary, western, mystery, classic, young adult, childrens, suspense/thriller, romance, historical (which can combine genres), and LDS.

NONFICTION: biography/memoir, history, nature/environment, poetry, religious, and science.

I know there are more genres, but this would get us started. We could even alternate each month with a fiction and a non-fiction.

Another advantage to this method is that if we are having a busy month we can opt for a smaller book.

What do you think?

Beccy said...

Brilliant! I love it. So are we starting with fiction?

I also love that we don't have to find a time in common to meet, which is my main problem with the book group I belong to. Blogging is new to me, but I like not having to open tons of email windows.