Sunday, October 16, 2011

Lynness: Just My Type

Well, I read about Just My Type somewhere and wanted to read it, but my library didn't have it.  Then all of the sudden they did, so I got it and just finished reading it.  I was rather disappointed.  It was interesting, but not well organized, lack-luster, and worst of all, didn't illustrate (literally) the points it tried to make or define the basics of the type industry.  It did show snippets of many fonts, but the author would repeatedly talk about the relative merits this font or details of that letter WITHOUT SHOWING THE FONT (but showing a picture of the creator of the font...), leaving me to wonder if I had those fonts on the computer to compare...but who has time for that?  Or there would be talk of the Roman influence, or Gothic or Italic, or Egyptian, with no graphic or description of what details makes a font more this type rather than another type.  Bottom line: could have been so much better.

0 Comments: