Friday, May 28, 2010

Abby: June reading assigment and things I've read

I'm excited to read one of the many "southern reads" that are out there! After reading the assignment, titles kept coming to mind and I discovered that I've read a lot more southern novels than I'd realized. And I've loved each of them. Thinking of some right now...Gone With the Wind, Fried Green Tomatoes, Cold Sassy Tree, Leaving Cold Sassy, New Mercies, Scarlett, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

As I looked through Rae's links, I also noticed how often southern stories are turned into movies. Big Fish, The Color Purple, Fried Green Tomatoes, Gone With the Wind, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Secret Life of Bees, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, and Cold Mountain. I'm sure there are MANY more...

Lately, I don't keep a list of the books I'm reading but I am, as always, reading. I just finished These is My Words and Sarah's Quilt. Actually, I finished Sarah's Quilt about a week ago and These is My Words about two weeks ago. But I can't get them out of my head. I don't want to either. What a rich story. And what character depth. And there were so many truths in there that apply to any decade or century and any situation. I find myself thinking about my own struggles and then in creep Sarah's words or my own musings as to how she would have approached my life. Right after I finished reading, and even while I was reading, I stopped myself a few times from responding to Eric and the girls in "Arizona Territory" vernacular. :)

For this month, I'm going to check out Cold Mountain, Hissy Fit, and Raney and see what strikes my fancy!

Oh, and I can't remember if we posted this here or not, but the Eulalie book someone asked about...it's Eulalie and the Hopping Head by David Small (thanks to my Dad and Lynness for both looking into it and figuring it out).

Also...any of you with fond memories of Brer Rabbit, there's a company uploading free copies of old story recordings that are free for download. If I remember right, there are two versions of Brer Rabbit/Uncle Remus stories.

0 Comments: