Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I read a different book . . .

I have Enchanted April sitting on my nightstand, but I used up all of my May reading time reading The Kite Runner which Rae loaned me. I was in the mood for something deeper than Enchanted April. It is historical fiction, not classic fiction. I promise to stick to our theme next month!

Wow. This was a powerful, profoundly moving book, though not cheery. It begins in 1970s Afghanistan, as the Russians invaded, and carries the main character through the Taliban invasion and into modern time. I was expecting something more "political." Though the historical events are central to the story, the real plot is one of redemption. It is beautifully written. The quote on the back cover from the Washington Post says it all:

"A powerful book . . . no frills, no nonsense, just hard, spare prose . . . an intimate account of family and friendship, betrayal and salvation that requires no atlas or translation to engage and enlighten us. Parts of the book are raw and excruciating to read, yet the book in its entirety is lovingly written."

I had to decide whether or not to finish the book when fairly early into it, the boy who is the main character witnesses a terrible act of brutal violence and chooses to keep it a secret. But that single event shapes his life and the real plot is how he deals with his choices regarding that event (I'm trying to not give away too much). There is violence in the story because of the setting, but it is not gratuitous or sensational. Rachel had blacked out one line in the book, a crude comment made by a wicked soldier. There is much sweetness and beautiful friendship in the story, and the characters are incredibly realistic, memorable and well-developed. It's amazing writing, especially for a first novel. The book puts a human face on Afghanistan. It brought me feelings of sympathy for the Afghans and a new appreciation of their culture, language and qualities. I'm so glad I read it! I enjoyed Rachel's sparse but meaningful notes and underlinings throughout. I highly recommend this book, but it is no light read!

Thanks Rae, for another great recommendation!

0 Comments: